Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] My Journey From Editor to Writer

Poonam Malik
(@poonam-malik)
Topic starter  

This article is about my journey from an being an editor to becoming an author. It is inspired by a conversation between me and our ever-ready-to-help mentor, Mr. Rajinder Soni long back.

Introduction

I think those were the initial days when I had joined DW Hub or maybe after I had published some articles. After talking about a few things, he suggested this topic to me. I said, “Yes, I will surely write on this topic.” However, owing to my ill-health and some other preoccupations I could not write it earlier.

The Journey

I had joined DW Hub in March 2020 after much deliberation. Intuitively, I was very much attracted to the concept, ‘writopreneur’ without fully grasping its interpretation. However, I used to religiously attend his webinars. And all I could follow was that we first need to publish 30 original articles.

So, on my part I started writing and initially could not progress beyond a few hundred words.

It took me weeks before I wrote a full fledged article. I sent it to Rajinder Sir. I had written it on my favourite movie Anand. For unknown reasons, I had to remind Mr. Soni to read it and guide me further. He asked me to send it again. And once more there was no response from him. I thought maybe my choice of topic was not right. Then I chose another topic after navigating the hubpages’ site. After writing on another topic I asked Sir to guide me further as to how should I publish it. That is when Sir introduced me to Prateek Jain, our senior. He published my first article on hubpages and soon my article got featured. And with that started my journey as an author. Very soon, I was able to clear the bootcamp. And one after the other, by the first week of June I was able to publish 17 articles on hubpages. And all except the last one were featured articles, mostly in one attempt only. Somehow, the last one remains unfeatured till date, despite several attempts. It is published as an unfeatured article even today.

Unfortunately, in the second week of June, I fell seriously ill, mainly because of spending long hours on the laptop. So, that put a fullstop on my journey.

With the encouragement of Mr. Soni I am trying to resume my journey. This is my second article being published on www.rajindersoni.com. For those who are curious about my first article, it is titled, I Love Tea Do You? Do give it a read, if you have time.

The Backdrop

The title says, ‘from editor to writer’ so now I will explore the first part.

It was quite late in life that I got the opportunity to become an editor. It is said that if you make your passion your career, then it is easy to conquer new heights.

But even though reading was my passion from childhood it was only in my fifty-third year that I got to become an editor. Howsoever enjoyable it was, I had to bid goodbye to full time editing. However I still enjoy working freelance on editing projects. During the six-year tenure as an editor, I fell in love  with my work. I really enjoyed reading; this time I was not reading for knowledge or pleasure. I was reading for a different purpose, hitherto unknown to me.

Although prior to becoming an editor I used to dream of becoming a writer, it remained a dream till I joined DW Hub. Here, I am suddenly reminded of an interesting incident. Five or six people including me were hired as editors. A few weeks later our team leader informed that very soon we would be getting assignments requiring us to write rather than edit. As expected, there was A mixed bag of reactions. Some of us were excited, others not so excited, but one reaction really stood out. The person shared his feelings with the team leader saying, “I was a writer at my last job and was very happy to become an editor here. This clearly is a step down and I am not prepared for this.” After some cajoling he became ok and did the writing assignments really well. I don’t exactly remember how I fared, as I was a total fresher in writing, but I guess it must have been okay as I did not get any adverse comments from my team leader.

Later, I got opportunities to write varied content while working as an editor. Writing and editing are not mutually exclusive,is what I learnt over the passage of time.

This brings me to my first stumbling stone after joining DW Hub. Several times I kept asking Rajinder Sir as to what should I write. How I got my answer I have told already.

Two articles later I was posting my articles on hubpages myself. My friend Prateek took care of the mistakes though.

Conclusion

This was my journey from editor to writer. Am yet to start on becoming a successful writopreneur.

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: