Notifications
Clear all

Writing Strategies,Tips, Techniques

Sowspeaks
(@sowspeaks)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Common Writer’s Blocks and Ways to Handle Them To Move To The Big League

Do you quickly want to move into the big league as a writer?  Then read on, but most importantly do what is recommended.

As a writer, you need to work on two ends, as I like to call it.

• The front-end which is mostly to do with your writing and SEO and other stuff.
  • The back-end which is, what is at the back of the head that is blocking or aiding your growth as a writer?

Writing is easy.

Writing is hard work.

Now see how both are right, based on what your beliefs are, as a writer.

So that brings us to a vital junction.

And that says

‘Before you become successful, wildly successful as a writer there are blocks to overcome, hurdles to clear and fences to jump’.

And frequently these are self-created. The only thing standing between you and your big goal is you, yourself. This is actually great news! Because if you have the power to create them, you also have the power to undo them.

So, start with sitting in a quiet corner and noting down all

-Your limiting beliefs

-Your wrong notions.

– Your self talk

To help with identifying them, ask yourself these questions and fill in these blanks

1. I can be a successful writer if ______________
  2. _____________, ______________________,_________________ are stopping from me being good.
  3. Am I earning as much as I want to? If no why? What is blocking my earning potential?
  4. Am I getting enough opportunities in my space?
  5. I am not able to tap into all the opportunities because ________________________

The common blocks/ notions writers encounter.

1. Writing such as mine might appeal to only a few. Let’s be honest. We want as many people to read. So no two ways about that.

This is a judgment you are passing on yourself. What is driving this judgment?

At the front end, if your readership is ailing, then take stock, analyze and be flexible enough to change.

At the back-end, change your self-talk and start saying

‘Maybe I can attract large audiences to my writing. Maybe it is possible.’

Then eventually once you are a little more convinced, slowly shift it to

‘I believe I have it in me to be a writer with a large following’

2. I am a failure as a writer. People aren’t reading my work.

Again extremely judgemental.  Sad, you are doing it to yourself.

Reframe and ask yourself

• Will reworking my style help?
  • How can I tweak my work to reach across to a bigger audience?
  • What can I do to make my writing more entertaining?

For some time disconnect yourself from your work and put yourself in the shoes of a friend, your mother, your teacher, and a member of your audience and see what they might say about this piece of work. You will gain much-needed perspective.

3. I am scared to put myself out there. Fearful of the criticism that might come my way. What if people don’t accept me?

Close your eyes and think of all the times when you expected the worst and things went out well. When you were appreciated for your performance.

4. I am not good enough. There are much better writers out there. I really don’t have it in me to be a good writer or a highly paid writer.

Firstly remember that there are a million writers out there and there always will be but each is different.

The world needs your unique perspective, your stories, your travails, your successes, your take on the ordinary and the extraordinary. There are going to be people inspired by you, who are going to find your instructions helpful, maybe even life-changing.

Your writing is never about you. It is about your audience and keeping that in perspective will make all your objections seem small.

5. First I will perfect my grammar and language and then start writing. I still don’t have all the resources to be a writer.

Truth be told, you will never have enough resources, be it time or money. And you can keep waiting till you are a ripe old age and watch people with less talent and fewer resources climb up the writer’s ladder. All because they began.

So start now, with what you have and all that you need will be added unto you.

6. I don’t have the degree/education or the experience to be a successful writer. I am way too old to be a writer.

A degree can only take you so far. Talent and consistency can take you everywhere. Also, there are courses that can fill in the gaps in your education. So, no worries about that.

Unless you start somewhere, you can’t gather experience. The beauty of writing as a profession is that your age doesn’t matter.

The only real qualification you need is love for the word, ability to keep learning and growing.

So use the methods highlighted above. Bust your blocks. Put pen to paper, finger to keyboard, and get on. Success will actively partner you. Best of luck!!!

So, if this article spoke to you and helped you, do share and add your comments and suggestions. Would love to hear from you.

Written by: sowspeaks

Sowrabha Mahesh, Happy member of Digital Writopreneurs Hub

#sowspeaks #sowrabhamahesh #writingcontest #digitalwritopreneurshub #writersblock  #overcomeblocks #rajindersoni

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: